Business Grammar & Writing
This class is designed for upper intermediate and advanced ESL students who wish improve their business communication skills. Course objectives include the development and usage of language functions for strategic and diplomatic verbal and written communication. Since formal letter writing and specific business vocabulary are key components of the course, a basic mastery of writing skills is highly recommended.
Course instruction involves the use of multimedia to meet course requirements. Students engage in active listening exercises involving modern business dialogue. Skills in negotiation, the language of meetings, building effective presentations and report writing are all taught with the aid of current DVD programming.
Computer-assisted research and the collection of field data through site specific field trips also form part of the course content. Writing assignments are completed in class and then typed and checked for formal presentation at the school computer lab. The course ends in the completion of a report and presentation to re-enforce students’ newly acquired skills.
• Increase specific knowledge of strategic language functions.
• Enhance skills in formal and strategic language functions included in negotiation.
• Expand vocabulary of business specific terms.
• Become familiar with common business acronyms, abbreviations and idioms.
• Conduct research in business specific areas-investment, finance, marketing, economics.
• Complete business dialogue assignments.
• Acquire advanced skills in formal letter writing.
• Develop presentation preparation skills.
• Learn appropriate register.
• Discuss current events in local, national, and international business.
Pre-requisite Level: 10+
Final Presentation 25%
Homework & Assignments 30%
Research and Final Report Writing 25%
Course Materials: Oxford Business Grammar & Practice. Supplemental material from various sources
AM Elective: 60 hrs
Language of Meetings
Writing: Requesting Service
Resumes & Cover Letters
Perfect Tenses and Formality
Technical writing: analyzing the business news
Noun/Verb + prepositions
Business Abbreviations and Acronyms
Field Research: Marketing
Writing: Formal Complaints
Reported Speech; Phrasal verbs
Past Unreal Conditionals
Research, Final Report and Presentation
General English Courses
University Preparation Courses
Business English Courses
Special English Programs
© 2013 Vancouver English Centre
Last updated on Dec 07/11
at 14:26 PDT